|What are Upratnas or Substitute Gemstones?|
An Uparatna is the Sanskrit term used in Jyotish for a substitute gem. A substitute gemstone is usually a semi-precious gem which is used in lieu of the primary gemstone used as Jyotish Ratna for any planet.
The usual gemstones used in Jyotish remedy are as follows:
2. Pearl (Moti) - For Moon.
6. Yellow Sapphire (Yellow Pukhraj) - For Jupiter.
7. Blue Sapphire (Neelam) - For Saturn.
8. Hessonite (Gomed) - For Rahu.
9. Cats Eye (Lehsuniya) - For Ketu.
In case where these primary gems are not available one can wear the substitute gems instead. The popular substitute gems are as under:
1. Carnelian, Red Agate, etc - For Sun.
2. Moonstone, white coral, etc - For Moon.
3. Jasper, Pink Tourmaline - For Mars.
4. Opal, Moonstone, White coral, etc - For Venus.
5. Green Tourmaline, Jade, Aventurine, etc - For Mercury.
6. Yellow Topaz, Yellow Hessonite, etc - For Jupiter.
7. Amethyst, Aquamarine, etc - For Saturn.
8. Agate, Garnet, etc - For Rahu.
9. Tiger Stone, etc- For Ketu.
There are other substitute gemstones too which have not been mentioned here. The basic criteria for selection of gems as substitute Jyotish ratnas is their colour and their composition.